Quick and easy way to make a delicious green smoothie.
Why would you want to make a green smoothie? How many salads do you eat every day? Green smoothies offer a tasty way to get your greens without the oils in salad dressings.
Leafy greens are packed with antioxidants, nutrient dense vitamins, minerals, living enzymes, amino acids (protein), and phytonutrients.
As perfect as greens are, you would have to chew each bite for close to twenty minutes until they were the creamy consistency required for your body to take maximum advantage of all the nutrition contained within them.
Smoothies are perfect for an on the go meal, prep one for breakfast and take one with you for a low-fat snack. Plus with smoothies you can add in leafy greens you would normally pass by in the market, when was the last time you had kale or collard greens?
Southern favorites like these are often cooked down with oils til they are limp and lose their rich color. Remember, color in your produce is an surface clue to it’s nutrient value. As you cook them and the color changes so does the nutrient density.
So to get started, you will need a blender. I personally use the Vitamix, but I certainly didn’t start off with this. I was perfectly content using my $40 department store blender for many smoothie years. But I must admit the initial expense is well worth the value, there are many days that I use the Vitamix 3 times. It takes minutes off my blending time and cleaning is a breeze! I can be in and out of the kitchen, smoothie in hand in under 5 minutes.
Making smoothies at home saves time and money, lots of money! Just like any recipe, when you make it at home, you know exactly what is going into your body!
Food is fuel, lets up the octane!
Add into your blender:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh water
- 2 cups leafy greens, kale/spinach/ collard greens, you choose
- BLEND until it is a smooth color consistency
- add in your fruits. Bananas make it smooth and creamy. I love using frozen berries or mango.
- add in some dried stevia leaf or honey if you need extra sweetener
- Blend it all together
Get started with one of these combos, one for every day of the week:
1. Spinach, mango – simple and surprising!
2. Kale, pineapple, mango
3. Collard greens, pineapple, banana
4. Spinach, pears, apples and cinnamon spice
5. Banana, grapes and parsley
6. Kale, blueberries and bananas
7. Romaine, banana, orange juice & fresh ginger